Council History

Council # 3433 was instituted on July 1st, 1951. A First Degree exemplification and installation of Officers was conducted at Council # 437 in downtown Indianapolis, IN. In attendance were Officers from Our Lady Fatima Council # 3228. Later that day, the celebration continued with a dinner at the Marriott Hotel. State Officers introduced Jim Rocap as the first Grand Knight.

Early meetings convened at the Chicken Koop Restaurant & Meeting Rooms at 65th & Keystone Avenue. The Council bulletin, “The Communicant,” was first published on December 3rd, 1951.

In February 1953, the Council purchased 40+ acres of property at the Northwest corner of 71st Street and Keystone Avenue. The facility, known as the Anglers Club, included three lakes that operated as a fishing spot to generate extra revenue. The Keystone Columbus Corporation was organized at this time to facilitate the land purchase and manage the ongoing operations.

The Women’s Guild was founded in 1953. These ladies held fundraising activities to support the Council. Through the efforts of the Women’s Guild many amenities were donated to the Council clubhouse.

In 1957, the membership reached 500 Brother Knights, which necessitated an $8,000 addition to the old club house on the hill. The additional space allowed for the Council to begin serving Friday night dinners in 1958. The new clubhouse contained a bar, an auditorium for serving meals, a card room, as well as the Council room.

1959 witnessed the beginning of plans for the current Council building. The building efforts were greatly advanced in February 1960 by the mortgage burning for the original property purchase. The new facility was partially paid for by the State of Indiana Highway Department in return for land the Council donated to facilitate the widening of Keystone Avenue. Groundbreaking ceremonies for the new Council building were held on October 1st, 1961, following the Columbus day parade.

The new building was dedicated in May 1962 with an open house for Brother Knights and their wives. The Women’s Guild hosted a card party and style show. This generated sufficient funds to purchase the statue of St. Pius X (which still graces our Council room today).Guy Lombardo’s orchestra performed for the Council’s dedication dance.

The game room was enlarged in 1967 to provide more space for card games and the new billiard tables.

The swimming pool opened in 1970. It was dedicated to the late Ed Bradley, PGK. Over 350 families enjoyed this facility. The pool was refurbished to its current configuration in 1997.

The “Extra Mile Award” was instituted by the Council in the 1970′s. The award recognized a driver in the Indianapolis 500 who exemplified sportsmanship and perseverance. This was expanded in 1972 with a beef stew dinner, hosted for the award recipient. The award recipient would attend the dinner. Wally Dallenbach was the Council’s first guest along with his wife Pepper. Other drivers to have won the award and joined us for the evening include: Tom Sneva, Johnny Rutherford, Pancho Carter and Steve Krisiloff. Tony Hulman (Indianapolis Motor Speedway) and his IMS Vice-President Al Bloemker, were instrumental in supporting our program. The Citizenship Award winners from Gibault School for Boys, Terre Haute, IN were also in attendance for the award dinners.

In the 1980′s, a generous team of Brother Knights began the current bingo games. This weekly event has attracted many new customers to our facility. The tireless efforts of these Brother Knights has supported many of the Council’s philanthropic endeavors.

In 2007 another renovation of the facility was completed. This renovation provided a face-lift to our existing banquet hall. This helped to keep our banquet facilities up to date. It helped to keep us in a position to serve the wide variety of needs presented by the many weddings and charity events hosted annually. This renovation was made possible through the tireless efforts of the Council, the Realty Board and generous donations of our members.

In 2008 the facility went non-smoking. The shift to a non-smoking facility reflects nationwide trends. This has contributed to a healthier environment for our guests, staff, members and their families.

Become a part of Knights of Columbus Council #3433 history. Get involved. Volunteer. The Brother Knights and Social Club members and their families are what keep us viable. Thanks to all those that have served in the past, serve in the present and will serve in the future.

Knights of Columbus: In Service To One, In Service To All.

Membership Information

Home